Surely many people probably associate essay writing exclusively with the academic process, in which you have to write a bunch of independent papers on various topics. Nevertheless, some topics can be of genuine interest to writers and help uncover writing talent. To the list of the most exciting topics for writing essays are works based on the analysis of famous works of art – and we are talking not only about literature but also other genres of art. In particular, quite interesting are the works devoted to the analysis of cartoon works, among which “Persepolis” is quite famous. How this work can become the basis for writing an essay – we suggest learning from our short material.
How did a work of fiction become a philosophical work?
It is worth paying attention to the fact that “Persepolis” can not be called a classic work. This is a book on which the animated film was made, which addresses many acute social problems that are inherent in the modern world. Not surprisingly, this work can be used as a basis for writing independent works, the value of which will meet all academic requirements.
In particular, the work touches on appealing topics that can be used to analyze contemporary society, such as:
- Symbolism. The book and the animated film are saturated with various symbols that have overt and hidden subtexts. Therefore, it is important to watch the entire film carefully to understand what symbols were used by the author in the process of creating the work, what meaning they carry, how this symbolism is intertwined with real contemporary life, and much more.
- The war and its perception. The author of the work used the events of the Iranian Revolution and the military actions that followed it as a historical background. As the story progresses, we can observe how the author’s perception of these events changed on a personal level, but their impact on other people and society as a whole was not overlooked.
- The impact of ideologies. The main character of the work from her childhood faces the impact of Marxist ideology and can observe how this ideology affects not only the formation of her personality but also the development of the society around her, what consequences it had later, what is the relationship between the ideology itself and the symbols it criticizes or denies – for example, religion. At the same time, the reflections of the main character remain relevant today, because they can be adapted to the analysis of any other ideology of modern society.
- The personal development of the main character. At the center of the plot of the book and the film is the story of an Iranian girl from childhood to adulthood. Gradually we can observe how her perception of events in the country has changed, how they influenced the formation of her personality, how gradually, as she grew up, her personal perception of these events has changed. This theme opens up great opportunities not only to analyze the story itself but also to create a psychological portrait of the main character.
- Perception of the work. Like any other work, “Persepolis” does not just tell a certain story – it encourages the reader and viewer to reflect on how the story resonates with his inner world, what experiences it causes, what connection exists between contemporary events, and the events described in the book. This work can be the basis for personal observations in the form of an essay.
If you need to help to write my essay on the plot of this work, you can always get it from experts. But try to make personal use of reading the book or watching the movie – you won’t regret it.